I was born and raised in Antwerp, Belgium. During my youth and study years, I went to the art academy where I studied architecture and visual arts. After my studies I had the urge to do something with everything I had done and what I had experienced. As if I wanted to embrace all my memories and allow dreams and desires.
Those feelings are still an inspiration to me and the driving force behind my work. It gives me the urge to create spaces were I can full fill my desires and questioning my experiences. The images and fragments derived therefrom, I reuse for my work.
That’s why mixed materials, shapes and locations are assembled together into architectural transformations; usually sculptures and installations. Neither the installations nor the sculptures are exact copies from reality even though that impression is sometimes awakened by working with models and plans.
Doors, stairs and the use of glass and steel in particular are important elements in my work. I refer to the fact that I grew up as a child in a modernistic apartment building. Doors, staircases, and more generally (the suggestion to) passageways and level differences have therefore become a constant desire.
Especially the thought or the longing for a place somewhere at a certain time, past or future, are the step towards making this works.
Chapter from the book Species of Spaces and other Pieces of Georges Perec.
“We don’t think enough about staircases.
Nothing was more beautiful in old houses than the staircases.
Nothing is uglier, colder, more hostile, meaner, in today’s apartment buildings.
We should learn to live more on staircases. But how?”
Georges Perec, Espèces d'espaces, 1974
CAROLINE VAN DEN EYNDEN
lives and works in Antwerp
2005 - 2009 Master in Fine Arts, Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp, InSitu3
2001 - 2004 Bachelor in Fine Arts, Royal Academy of Fine Arts Ghent, Interior-design
1996 - 2001 Secondary art school, Sint-Lucas Antwerp
solo and group exhibitions (selection)
- Absoluut, duo show, Gallery Fontana, 21/09 Amsterdam
- Home Sweet Home, group exhibition, 16/06 - 21/07, Harelbeke
- Book presentation + studiovisit, 30/03, Antwerp
- Art Fair: Art Rotterdam, Solo booth with DMW art space: Elemental Entropy, 7/02 - 10/02, Rotterdam
- Art Fair: Munich Art Paper Position, 18/10 - 21/10, Munich
- 1+1+1=3, group exhibition, DMW Art Space, 14/09 - 15/10, Antwerp
- Tussen muren, group exhibition, Stedelijke Kunstacademie Tielt, 30/11 - 27/01, Tielt
- Le Papillon de L' Architecture, Caroline Van den Eynden invites Thomas Raat, DMW art space, 20/10 - 03/12, Antwerp
- Art Brussels, Kusseneers Gallery, 20/04-23/04, Brussels
- You don't need an app to experience the real thing - nothing can beat standing in front of the real work, group exhibition, Kusseneers Gallery, 05/04 - 29/04, Brussels
- Summer Soireé, group exhibition, Salon Blanc, 20/08, Ostend
- It's a small world after all, solo exhibition, Kusseneers Gallery, 08/09 - 15/10, Brussels
- Atlas Rebound, solo exhibition, Kusseneers Gallery, 5/11 - 19/12, Brussels
- Input-Output, group exhibition, 29/10 – 13/11, Brugge, curator Mieke Mels van Mu.zee Oostende.
- Enlightened Fountains (reasons to be cheerful), group exhibition, Loods 12 with Jan Colle Galerie, 19/09 - 27/10, Ghent
- The solo project, group exhibition, art fair Basel with Kusseneers Gallery, 17/06 - 21/06, Switzerland
- D.ART, group exhibition, 01/06 - 05/06, Mechelen
- Galerij SASK, solo exhibition, 7/11 - 13/12, Turnhout
- Kusseneers Gallery, solo exhibition, 6/11 - 20/12, Brussels
- Park at Borg, group exhibition, 19/09 - 05/10, Borgerhout
- All my friends are scientists, group exhibition, 30/05 - 29/06, Kontich
- Magma, group exhibition, 03/05 - 04/05, Antwerp
- Park at Poppositions #3, Off-art fair, 24/04 - 27/04, Brussels
- Workplace, group exhibition, Schuttershofstraat 45, 19/01 - 02/03, Antwerp
- Magma #4, group exhibition, 26/09, Antwerp
- Airy Yamanashi, group exhibition, 01/05 - 01/06, Japan
2012 - 2009
- Park 6, in coöperation with Bhart, group exhibition, Borgerhout, 2012
- Park 5, Temporary Limits, group exhibition, Ekeren, 2011
- Torino/Anversa andata e ritorno, Arteco, group exhibition, Borgerhout/Turin, 2010
- Park 4, Das appartement, group exhibition, Berlin, 2010
- Park 3, Memories of glass, group exhibition, Antwerp, 2009
- Mastermaquette, group exhibition, Verbeke Foundation, Kemzeke, 2009
- Park 2, What already has been written, group exhibition, Antwerp, 2009
- Park 1, End of autumn, brighter than sunshine, Antwerp, 2009